The Roanoke, VA section of the IES is comprised of lighting professionals and enthusiasts from the Roanoke, Lynchburg, and Blacksburg/Christiansburg, VA areas. We are an active section and hold monthly meetings from September through May in which we host expert speakers to educate our members on topics related to lighting. Many of the presentations qualify for continuing education credits. Our meetings take place on the second Tuesday of each month. Visit our meetings page for more information.
Below is some information about the national IES orginazation.
The IES has a diverse membership composed of:
- Lighting designers, engineers, architects, researchers, educators, interior designers, energy regulators, utility personnel, manufacturing personnel, end users of lighting, and students.
- Our membership is composed of the staff members of many companies and institutions, including architectural firms, engineering & consulting firms, educational institutions, interior design firms, manufacturers, sales agencies, government agencies, utilities, libraries, and energy service companies.
The IES Mission:
The IES seeks to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public.
The IES Vision:
The IES will build upon a century of excellence to create the premier lighting community dedicated to promoting the art and science of quality lighting to its members, allied professional organizations, and the public.
The IES Works with Other Organizations:
- The International Dark-Sky Association to reduce glare and light trespass from exterior lighting.
- The U.S. Department of Energy to improve the energy efficiency of lighting systems
- ASHRAE, AIA, and USGBC to reduce energy usage in buildings
- 2030 Coalition to help reduce greenhouse gases
- The High Performance Building Council to improve building performance